Sunday 1 August 2010

Don't forget, mate.


I really wish I had superpowers. I don’t know if I should say ‘really’ because it’s not exactly every day that I’m consumed by the inadequacies of being mortal, but sometimes, when I have way too much time, I day dream about it  - and I always pick flying. That’s what I want – no two ways about. I don’t want invisibility – I tried following that up once and it ended badly. Flying is where it is. Anyway - needless to say, I have made absolutely no progress on that issue whatsoever. So no super powers for me.

All is not lost though, for - what I do have, instead of superpowers (haha), is this painfully annoying but unsuspectingly helpful knack for remembering the tiniest details. I remember things that happened from when I was about three or four – right upto the things that happened a few days ago – and the things I remember, aren’t hazy. I remember what people said, what they wore (colours, logos, whatever), what I said and a lot of times, the stupid thing I did. They may as well have all happened yesterday 

I remember trying to learn how to swim in the bathtub of our old house – and I also remember running into a wall with a crazy straw in my mouth. It hurt. Like a Bitch. Anyway, you get the picture: special occassions, normal every days, parent-teacher meetings (I remember pretty much every year) – all this junk from school. It goes on.

I’m sure it’s easy to understand why this can be annoying. Or maybe it’s not. I don’t know. Some days are worse than others, usually days where I can’t really fall asleep and I’m lying in the dark or flipping pillows around to get that cool-side which never comes because the pillow’s already baked. The stuff just suggests itself to me and it does so, so aggressively.

Please don’t misconstrue, I’m not being haunted by my thoughts (we had a bunny rabbit for a week once, when I was a kid.) – most of the stuff in there is pretty amusing and a lot of times it borders on a feeling that makes you want to indulge further. Just to see what comes next. The problem is though, once you immerse yourself in the good stuff, there’s no stopping the bad stuff. Which isn’t particularly traumatic – but just irritating. Stuff like what teachers have said to me through school, the works.

It just annoys me that this stuff is even there. Sometimes I’m amazed at the scene I’ll reach in my mind. I would have started off by thinking of something that happened at rehearsal or at a gig – something silly with the bass -- and next thing I know, I’m in the third grade trying to figure out how the minute hand works on a clock. (true story). Whenever I feel that way, I always – without exception – think of the same thing. I don’t know how many people who might read this, have actually met me. But I have a pretty small head – and I really wonder how all this junk fits in.

It’s probably easier though, to figure why it has it’s upsides. If you’re in the mood and ready to make the effort, you can usually keep a conversation going for a while without much help. I’ve had a moreorless pleasantly eventful teenage-thru-coming-of-age-stage. I’ve been lucky enough to travel – I used to fly to the UK during my summer vacations till the time I was ten and after that it was the US right uptil a few years ago. After that I went and lived in Japan for about a year. Random people – Random parties – Cops – Robbers – Jazz –Blues. Whatever. Basically I’m Stocked and Good to Go.

People like hearing stories sometimes (Sometimes) – and unquestionably – it works best when the stories are about them. It’s crazy flattering on some level, I imagine.

Honestly though, I kinda like it when people remember things about me or tell me they saw something completely unrelated and it triggered and fired off a me-neuron.
I like the idea that I’m in other people’s heads. It does something between giving me a little kick and reaffirming my cosmic existence. Kind of a matrix-thing. 
J

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I just changed my blog layout.

    Lo and Behold!

    You chose the same!

    ReplyDelete