Saturday 30 October 2010

Meditation at Dawn

Meditations at dawn – that’s what I’m going to call the first decent jazz head I write. Until then, it will have to suffice as the title of this little humble post. Recently has been entertaining – mostly in content and - insofar as it has been exhausting and blurry, it has come with it’s own intoxication. Lately I feel like I can draw a straight line through rehearsing for Nepal, playing in Nepal, going to Bombay, coming back from Bombay, studying for tests, giving tests, playing more - and right upto the present moment and yet feel like all of it happened to somebody else. 

It is, at the moment, just about dawn – it would be a shame, if it wasn’t. It’s not that I’m not tired or I can’t sleep – but for some reason, I don’t really feel like putting much space between the day that started sometime yesterday and waking up and starting again later today. The weird hang-ups people have. What doesn’t help the entire situation however, it my acoustic-habituation of the fan.

The regulator knob is busted – and by busted I mean the fan is only working on two settings. The first being ‘dead without motion’ and the second, even more popular I might add, being ‘Cessna light-aircraft propeller’. It’s a really cold night and it’s been a pretty good night. We played a decent set at the Aman – ended late and then headed out to TLR 

for a little while, to check out their Halloween scene – ended up staying till 4am and finally got back and chilled (literally) out on the roof at home, listening to Miles Davis and drinking beer. It sounds contrived, but after a point personal satisfaction, is more than, if not the only key.

Tonight was probably the first night in months that I got out. Nicolas was kind enough to give me company on it – but I think somewhere he needed it, as much as I did. It felt so stran

ge being in the middle of large social scene. You just forget what it’s like. There’s no two ways about, I’d rather play than do anything else, but sometimes, new people just afford you an instant booster shot of fresh perspective. Half the time they don’t even know it – sometimes, you’re the one administering the shot and even you don’t know it. Sometimes it's just fictional clarity. In any case, "whatever makes us happy" - says Pranai.

In other news, my new double bass gets here from Bombay sometime this week. It will be the latest addition to the house. Shortly after which, I’m getting a cat.

Life is good.

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Yeah man, can't wait to get a cat !
    "Everybody wants to be a cat": sometimes I try to remember that past life when I was one but I guess I'll have to merely settle for having one at home - "Whatever makes you happy" - the less it is, the simpler life is :)
    "Look for the bare necessities
    The simple bare necessities
    Forget about your worries and your strife (...)"

    ReplyDelete